Writing a theme based essay is all about the theme, as you can guess yourselves. A theme can be taken from a book, story, fable, song, a TV show or even a movie. A theme based essay can be requested to be written either in an elementary school or college. So, how to write a good theme based essay?
Writing a theme based essay – vital tips
First and most important thing is to outline your theme. For example, if you decide to write a theme based essay on “Game of Thrones” book, you have to outline the most important theme for you. Is it who will become a king or will the Stark family survive? So, first you have to read the book carefully or watch the show, outline the most important topic for you, brainstorm on it and prepare material and quotations to organize your essay.
Introduction of a theme essay
Begin writing a theme based essay with an introduction. In the introduction part you acquaint the reader with your theme. It is very important to state the theme clearly because you will write the whole essay based on it. If you do not manage to make that then it will be unclear and hollow, and most probably you are going to get a bad grade. So, once again, prepare carefully by analyzing the main problems of the theme you are going to write about.
Body paragraph of a theme essay
The second part of the essay is the body paragraph. Here you develop your thesis and your theme, after you have clearly stated it above. In that section of the essay again the initial analysis and preparation on the theme is very important. In your body paragraph you define and elaborate on your theme. Here you outline your main points that prove your theme. It is good to have at least three main points that you have found out and you are prepared to write on initially.
Get professional help with your theme based essay from our proficient and experienced writers
- Pressed for time?
- Looking for a subject matter expert?
- Need a high-quality, plagiarism-free paper?
Example of a Theme
Again, if you go back to the Game of Thrones book and choose the theme “the most suitable person for ruling the seven kingdoms is Daenerys Targaryen”, then you can outline the following three major points:
- The first one could be that a king/queen must be fair and noble, must protect its people and rule not based on lies and murders. Daenerys Targaryen is fair, brave and she is a mother of the dragons; i.e., the word mother is symbolic. Being a mother means that it is in her nature to protect and supply with the best; in this case, however, that will be not her children but her subjects.
- The second one could be that she deserved the throne by birth.
- The third point could be that she holds the power of dragons and they are the ultimate weapon. She would be able to protect her subjects in the best way possible but at the same time she is not fond of violence and always tries to reason peacefully in times of a conflict. A king or queen must realize that his/her kingdom cannot always be at war and people must have the chance to live peacefully and happily. Furthermore, you can elaborate that she cares genuinely for her subjects, threats them like equal and with respect, knows them and lives with them and for them. All those qualities are vital for a good ruler. At the same time you can point that the current king is violent, unjust, cruel and incapable of acting good and noble.
Elaborate your points by giving specific examples to strengthen them and use quotations wherever possible. Start each point on a new paragraph, stating your point and strengthening it with your own thoughts, examples and quotations.
Conclusion of a theme essay
The last paragraph in writing a theme based essay is the conclusion. The conclusion must be strong and you should clearly restate your theme. Finally, pick a strong closing sentence and proofread it, check spelling, grammar mistakes and whether it’s organized logically and clearly.